My longer form weekend reads:
• How the Bank Lobby Loosened U.S. Reins on Derivatives (Bloomberg) Enormous article that explains how the banks helped to bring about a period of reckless, radical deregulation, then blew themselves up.
• This Man Moved to a Desert Island to Disappear. Here’s What Happened. A strange and fascinating tale (New Republic)
• The Geeks on the Front Lines (Rolling Stone) see also The Tech Intellectuals (Democracy)
• A Hundred Bucks Says You Won’t Read This Story: new hundred-dollar bill coming this fall (Esquire)
• In Which I Interview an HFT and Ask Him Some Tough Questions (Cognitive Concord)
• Stop pretending we aren’t living in the Space Age (io9)
• Why ‘Drink More Water’? massive pro-water-drinking program launches today, making dubious claims (Atlantic)
• Hi, It’s Your Doctor: The return of the housecall (Opinionator)
• Have Sports Teams Brought Down America’s Schools? (New Yorker)
• T. Rex Might be the Thing with Feathers: Behind every famous dinosaur are unsung heroes. (Nautilus)
Whats up for the weekend?
The Fall and Rise of One Subprime Mortgage Bond