It is modeled on the Pecora Commission, a Senate panel that investigated causes of the Great Depression during the 1930s. The Pecora Commission led to major changes in federal law.
Speaker and Majority Leader appointed Phil Angelides as chairman of the Commission.
Angelides was elected California State Treasurer from 1999 to 2007
• Brooksley Born, who was appointed by President Clinton as Chair of the Commodities Futures Trading Commission from 1996-1999.
• John W. Thompson, who is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Symantec Corporation, a leading security software provider.
Senate Majority Leader appointed:
• Senator Bob Graham, the former U.S. Senator and former Governor of Florida. Senator Graham brings a wealth of experience and understanding of finance to this appointment from his years of service as a senior member of the Senate Finance Committee.
• Heather Murren, a retired Managing Director for Global Securities Research and Economics at Merrill Lynch. At Merrill Lynch, Ms. Murren was the group head for Global Consumer Products Equity Research.
• Byron Georgiou, who is a Las Vegas-based businessman and attorney. Mr. Georgiou serves on the advisory board of the Harvard Law School Program on Corporate Governance which hosts the leading blog on corporate governance and financial regulation.
Democrat Appointments to Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission
July 15, 2009, 12:08 PM ET
Real Time Economics
What's been said:Discussions found on the web: