Nothing to worry about, plenty of time to shop — I don’t know why people panic, its totally unnecessary these days. You can find lots of very cool, reasonably priced stuff for however you is on your list. (Our previous goes here and here, plus our Holiday Shopping for Audiophiles).
I continue to collect unusual items, some of which you may find amusing. These are some of the more intriguing items on my list:
• Musgo Real Shave Cream Portugal’s economy may be in shambles, but their shaving products are top notch. To wit: Musgo Real, a formula of lanolin, coconut oil and glycerin.
I shave with a brush and this tube of shave cream, introduced to me many years ago by the nice folks at Barclay Crocker in Southampton. It makes shaving a pleasure. ($10)
Both of these make Cigar Aficianado’s all time great cigar list.
And my favorite lighter is the twin flame Lotus 21 — its one of those well designed well engineered items that just feels right in your hand. ($46)
I like the US version of the Office with Steve Carrell, but its gently funny. The original BBC version is grittier, nastier, more working class-in-your-face funnier. It makes the American version almost genteel.
Price: $39.98 $23.49
• For the Science nerd in your life, this t Shirt from xkcd says it all: Science: It works Bitches ($19)
• Papa Bear’s Chocolate Haus: Every year, a friend in California sends us the chocolate toffee with nuts, from this Mendicino shop — and it is heavenly. This is quite simply the most delicious stuff I’ve ever had.
Astonishingly, they don’t have a webpage (707) 937-4406
• What every sci-fi geek needs: Star Trek: U.S.S. Enterprise Haynes Manual: In-depth information about every Enterprise, from the Enterprise NX-01, to Captain Kirk’s Enterprise NCC-1701 and Captain Picard’s Enterprise NCC-1701-D. Includes histories of each vessel, technical information about their systems, and discussions of key technologies.
The price is a strange $17.82
• Pocket Chainsaw: For your campers and outdoorsman — a fast cutting pocket saw that cuts a 3” diameter limb in under 10 seconds.
Made of high strength heat treated steel and is coated for rust resistance. Saw is 28” long with 124 bi directional cutting teeth. Before this year, I didn’t even know things like this even existed.
(Handle with care, this is a very dangerous object) $20.24
• For any driving fan, Two-Day High Performance Driving School from Skip Barber is a gift that keeps giving, Learn to drive safely within the performance envelope of your vehicle. (I did this a few years ago and loved it) $3,199 $2,719
• If you do go to Laguna or Lime Rock (not Sebring — terrible track), don’t forget the Pocket Personal Speed Radar ($200)
A bargain at $9,995