Nice list of slang terms from the Christian Science Monitor that were birthed in this Recession:
10. Funemployment, n. The practice of enjoying one’s unemployment.
8. Staycation, n. Vacationing at home or near home because traveling further would be prohibitively expensive.
6. Madoff’d, v. To get ripped off in a particularly offensive fashion.
5. Recessionista, n. A consumer who has historically paid big bucks to look like a million bucks and who, unwilling to quit his/her fashion habit in the face of the recession. NOTE: I prefer the Kudlowian definition of the rare person forecasting a recession before the event in the face of good news ; (i.e, I was the lone Recessionista on Kudlow & Co. last night).
2. Permatemp, n. The condition of being permanently employed as a temporary worker.
1. Decruited, adj. To be fired from a position one has not even started yet.
I would add Recession Porn — an obsession with the darkest, ugliest charts, articles and anecdotes about the recession. As in, “I used to go to that blog all the time, but I got bored with all of the recession porn.”
Any other new words out there worth adding to the list?
Recession slang: 10 new terms for a new economy
Tracey D. Samuelson, Taylor Barnes
Christian Science Monitor, March 8, 2010