Following the Take Aim post, long time blog reader and North Tucson resident Kevin makes the following suggestion:
“Create a way for your readers to make a donation to pay for some of the funerals that now tragically befall these families in a untimely manner. A fund to help the families of the wounded who did not plan on having a family member go to a Safeway and wind up in the hospital. Remember, we are not all crazy in this state.”
Great suggestion, Kevin.
Christina Taylor Green Memorial Fund: The family of a 9-year-old girl killed Saturday in the rampage north of Tucson has set up a charitable fund in her name. The Community Foundation for Southern Arizona is accepting donations to The Christina Taylor Green Memorial Fund on its website, cfsoaz.org.
“Our family has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love for our sweet Christina,” said John Green, Christina’s father, in a statement posted on the foundation’s website. “This memorial fund will ensure her legacy for the children in our community.”
UPDATE: January 15, 2011 5:56am
Here are several additional memorial funds (Thank you, Nancy!):
• John M. Roll Memorial Fund. How to contribute: Go here or mail checks, made payable to the “Law College Association” with the notation “John Roll Memorial Fund,” to James E. Rogers College of Law, P.O. Box 210176, Tucson AZ 85721-0176
• Christina-Taylor Green Memorial Fund, held by the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona. In addition to the site above, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, call 545-0313, or send a check to The Community Foundation for Southern Arizona, In Memory of Christina-Taylor Green, 2250 E. Broadway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85719.
• Tucson Tragedy Victim Fund. How to contribute: Send a check to Homicide Survivors Inc. (memo line: Tucson Tragedy Victim Fund), 32 N. Stone Ave., Ste. 1408, Tucson, AZ 85701. Contributions are tax-deductible.
• Tragedy in Tucson Victims’ Fund. How to contribute: Go here
• Gabe Zimmerman Scholarship Fund. How to contribute: Go to childfamilyresources.org or mail checks to Child & Family Resources, 2800 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ 85716.
• The American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter is accepting donations for those who wish to honor U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. How to contribute: Go to Red Cross Arizona.
If there are any other related funds, please let me know . .