Succinct Summations for the week ending January 22nd, 2016
- After three straight weeks of selling, stocks get a reprieve, finishing positive on the week.
- Existing home sales came in at a 5.46mm annualized rate, up 14.7% m/o/m.
- MBA mortgage applications composite rose 9% w/o/w.
- Bloomberg’s consumer comfort index came in at 44, down just slightly despite the lousy January for stocks.
- Manufacturing PMI came in at 52.7, up from 51.3 previously.
- CPI still not budging, -0.1% m/o/m, core CPI rose 0.1%.
- Housing starts came in at an annualized 1.149mm rate in December, down 2.5% from the previous reading.
- Jobless claims rose came in at 293k, the 4-week moving average is up to 285k, from 278.5k previously.
- Housing permits fell to 1.232mm SAAR, a 3.9% m/o/m decline.