Succinct Summations for the week ending January 8th, 2016
- Nonfarm payrolls came in at 292k vs the 200k expected. Last month was revised up from 211k to 252k.
- U.S. job openings increased by 430k to 5.8 million, above the 5.3 million expected.
- ADP employment came in at 257k vs the expected 190k and up from 217k previously.
- ISM non-manufacturing index fell from 56.2 to 55.3, still a positive reading.
- Initial jobless claims came in at 277k, the 4-week moving average fell to 275.75k.
- The S&P 500 fell 5% to this week, the worst start to a year ever.
- PMI Manufacturing came in at 51.2, down from 52.8 previously.
- Auto sales fell 5% to an annualized rate 0f 17.3mm.
- ISM Manufacturing came in at 48.2, below the 49.2 expected and down from 48.6 previously.
- Construction spending fell 0.4% m/o/m vs a 0.7% expected rise.
- Factory orders fell 0.2% in m/o/m, down from the 1.5% rise previously.
- MBA mortgage application index fell 27% w/o/w.
- PMI services index fell to 54.3, down from 56.1 previously